| || |
South Shore Hospital is the leading regional provider of acute, outpatient, home health, and hospice care to the approximately 725,000 residents of Southeastern Massachusetts. South Shore Hospital is a subsidiary of of South Shore Health System (formerly, South Shore Health and Educational Corporation). Both are charitable, not-for-profit, tax-exempt organizations, governed by a volunteer board of directors. Our home health care division includes South Shore Visiting Nurse Association, Hospice of the South Shore and Home & Health Resources.
One of the hallmarks of South Shore Hospital’s reputation as a premier health care facility is the significant financial support provided by a broad base of generous donors. Philanthropy and volunteerism continue to play a major role in the ability to fulfill our mission: “benefit the people of our region by promoting good health through healing, caring and comforting.” South Shore Hospital was founded in 1922 by a group of individuals dedicated to the health and well-being of the community. That spirit prevails as South Shore Hospital continues to grow and meet the needs of the community through innovation, investment in highly-trained clinical talent and advanced technology and a commitment to compassionate care. The hospital’s 922-member medical staff represents all leading medical specialties. South Shore Hospital employs 3,896 people, supported by a team of more than 700 volunteers.
Programs and Services
Our dedication to excellence, compassion and innovation is evident in South Shore Hospital’s comprehensive range of health care services developed to meet diverse community needs. We are the region’s leading provider of emergency, critical care, maternity, pediatric, cardiac, oncology, surgical, outpatient, home health, and hospice care services. South Shore Hospital partners with leading academic medical centers to bring their physician experts to our region. Examples include:
- Level III neonatal intensive care, 24/7 pediatric emergency care, inpatient pediatric services, and outpatient pediatric clinics, provided in association with physicians from Boston Children’s Hospital.
- Breast Care Center, provided in association with physicians from Brigham and Women’s Hospital.
- The Dana-Farber/Brigham and Women’s Cancer Center in clinical affiliation with South Shore Hospital, providing extensive, advanced cancer treatments in addition to clinical trials.
- Cardiology, reproductive endocrinology, gynecological oncology, neurology, urogynecology, surgical specialists, and a surgical residency program, provided in association with physicians from Brigham and Women’s Hospital.
Making a Difference in Our Communities
The measure of South Shore Hospital’s success is reflected in excellent medical outcomes, increasing clinical performance initiatives, ongoing research and programs, and state and national recognitions. Some of the highlights of these honors include:
- South Shore Hospital earned the Gold Seal of Approval by The Joint Commission.
- South Shore Hospital earned a recent Patient Safety Excellence Award from HealthGrades, ranking among the top five percent of hospitals in the nation.
- South Shore Hospital has been nationally recognized as a Blue Distinction Center+ for Knee and Hip Replacement® from Blue Cross Blue Shield Association, among only 24 hospitals in the state.
- Our Breast Care Center at Dana-Farber/Brigham and Women’s Cancer Center in clinical affiliation with South Shore Hospital has earned the maximum three-year accreditation through National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers (NAPBC), devoted to improving care and outcomes of patients with diseases of the breast.
- Nine in ten patients routinely report that they would recommend South Shore Hospital to their family and friends, as measured by Press Ganey Associates, the nation’s largest independent patient satisfaction monitoring firm.
- South Shore Hospital continues to be one of the elite six percent of hospitals nationwide having achieved Magnet
recognition for excellence in nursing services by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s (ANCC) Magnet Recognition Program, one of the highest levels of national recognition a hospital can achieve.
- Moody's Investors Service rates us "A2 with a Stable Outlook," making us one of Massachusetts’ highest rated community hospitals, at a time when community hospitals as a group continue to struggle.
We are the largest independently operated hospital in Eastern Massachusetts, with the second largest emergency center and maternity center. South Shore Visiting Nurse Association is the state’s fourth largest home health service. We continue to reinvest in equipment, infrastructure and programs to help our patients and physicians. South Shore Hospital recently completed the $43 million, 40-foot building Emerson expansion, creating the necessary clinical space for us to continue to meet the needs of the growing number of people choosing South Shore Hospital for care.
South Shore Hospital has provided more than $70 million in free care over the past ten years, and is a leader in public accountability and demonstrating benefit for our community, as evidenced in our partnerships with schools, employers, and seniors.