South Shore Hospital's staff of board-certified radiologists is the largest in the region and includes specialists in interventional radiology, nuclear medicine, neuroradiology and pediatric radiology. We offer patients a full range of diagnostic radiology and imaging services, including a women's diagnostic imaging center. All of South Shore Hospital's imaging procedures are fully accredited by the American College of Radiology.
New Imaging Technologies Enhance Ways to See Inside the Body
The first step in understanding a complex medical condition often involves taking a diagnostic image to see inside the body. Advances in diagnostic imaging now make it possible to identify and treat diseases in ways that were unimaginable as recently as 20 years ago.
South Shore Hospital's comprehensive diagnostic radiology and imaging program includes:
- Bone Densitometry: an enhanced form of X-ray technology used to measure bone loss, usually in the lower spine and hips.
- Computed Tomography: non-invasive, painless scan used to produce detailed images of bones, organs, soft tissues and blood vessels.
- Interventional Radiology: uses minimally invasive imaging techniques to diagnose and treat various medical conditions.
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI): a strong magnet is used to create images of tissue to detect some cancers or follow their progress.
- Mammography: best means of detecting breast disease in its earliest—and most treatable—stages.
- Needle Biopsy: alternative to surgical biopsy that involves the removal of tissue or suspensions of cells through a small needle for examination.
- Neuroradiology: minimally invasive procedures to detect and diagnose abnormalities of the central and peripheral nervous system, spine, head and neck.
- Positron Emission Tomography (PET): uses short-lived radioactive substances to detect active tumor tissue.
- Ultrasound: uses sound waves—not radiation—to evaluate abnormalities seen on a mammogram or a palpable lump in the breast.
To make an appointment, please call Central Scheduling at 781-624-4090.
For general information on the services we offer, please call our Radiology Department at 781-624-8310.
For information on CT Lung Screenings, price estimates, or CT Cardiac Scoring appointments, please call 781-624-4368.