Why Choose South Shore for Your Maternity Care?
Nowhere else in the region will you find:
- A hospital-driven pregnacy app: SSH Babies is available for both iPhone and Android.
- A choice of community-based maternity care providers who are affiliated with South Shore Hospital, including more than 40 OB/GYNs and certified nurse midwives.
- The only community hospital licensed to provide Level III maternal/newborn care
- New and beautifully-appointed Maternity Center, where each mother gives birth and recovers in a private birthing room and then moves to a new, private, post-partum room, where our nursing staff provides the highest standard of family-centered care.
- The region's only Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU), staffed 24 hours a day by on-site, board-certified neonatologists from Children's Hospital Boston to care for ill or premature infants
- Nursing staff dedicated to the individualized needs of mothers and newborns.
- Certified nurse midwife program designed for women with low-risk pregnancies. The certified nurse midwives work with our laborists (OB/GYN physicians who work in the hospital setting only) and the private practices to offer midwifery care to patients in our region
- Weymouth-based reproductive endocrinology program, offered in association with Brigham and Women's Hospital, for women with fertility complications.
- Weymouth-based maternal-fetal medicine program, to support women experiencing high-risk pregnancies.
- On-site, 24-hour staffing at the hospital by a board-certified obstetrician, giving women continuous access to appropriate emergency medical care at all times.
- High-tech operating rooms within the birthing unit, used exclusively for Cesarean births.
- Round-the-clock access to board-certified anesthesiologists and pain management services.
- Certified lactation specialists to offer teaching and support for breastfeeding mothers.
- A newly-formed family advisory council that assists in the development of new programs and services for parents and their babies.
- Availability of home health services to ease mother's and newborn's transition home.
Count on Family-Centered Care
At South Shore Hospital, our family-centered approach is the primary reason why we’ve become the region’s number one choice for maternity care.
Family-centered maternity care means working closely with you and your family to make decisions regarding your individualized care. When you add this philosophy to medical and nursing expertise and partnerships with world-renowned academic medical centers, you have the ideal blend of skill and compassion.
Our Maternity Center team believes:
- Birth is one of life’s most extraordinary experiences.
- Responsibility for decisions is shared among patients, families and the health care team.
- The experiences of our patients and families provide an opportunity for our continuous learning.
- Our patients and families deserve a safe and trusting environment where they are encouraged to share ideas, express their thoughts and participate in their care.
- Lifelong memories are created during your birth experience.
Tour Our Maternity Center
Call 781-624-4354 now to make your appointment—or take a virtual Maternity Center tour.