About Cardiovascular Disease
Cardiovascular disease, or heart disease, is the leading cause of death in men and women in the United States. Educating yourself about the risk factors associated with heart disease is one way to bring awareness and aid in prevention. Early detection and intervention through treatment can, in many cases, minimize the negative health effects associated with this disease.
The Cardiovascular Center at South Shore Hospital is specifically designed to tailor care for the needs of each patient. Our team of more than 30 cardiologists, radiologists and vascular surgeons are committed to providing patients with the information they need to manage their cardiovascular health. This comprehensive approach targets prevention, early detection, diagnosis, treatment, and management of the full range of cardiovascular disease.
Our Center Includes
- The region’s largest staff of board-certified cardiologists
- The state’s only accredited Chest Pain Center
- A comprehensive cardiovascular diagnostic lab
- The region’s busiest cardiac catheterization laboratory
- The region’s only cardiac electrophysiology lab
- Extensive disease management and rehabilitation programs
- To provide the highest level of quality and safety in the delivery of cardiovascular care while adapting to the needs of our patients, their families and our community
- To promote the early detection and management of cardiovascular disease utilizing the latest technology and evidence-based medicine
- To increase the understanding and awareness of cardiovascular disease in the community and to reduce the incidence and risk of cardiovascular disease
The Cardiovascular Center at South Shore Hospital offers the region’s most comprehensive approach to the prevention, early detection, diagnosis, treatment and management of cardiovascular disease. All in one convenient location.
Features the region's largest, most comprehensive diagnostic lab, including:
- Cardiac and vascular ultrasound
- EKG and Holter monitor testing
- Regular and nuclear stress testing
- Cardiovascular MRI and CT including the region's first 64-slice, high-speed CT
- A patient resource center
Four procedure rooms for cardiovascular disease treatments including:
- Cardiac catheterization and angioplasty
- Peripheral vascular treatments and angioplasty
- Electrophysiology diagnostic studies and therapies
Critical Care Units, staffed by intensivist physicians and nurses who are experts in critical care, include:
- A dedicated Coronary Care Unit that cares for our most critically ill cardiac patients.
- A dedicated Cardiac Care Inpatient (telemetry) Unit to care for patients needing cardiac monitoring.
- A Chest Pain Unit, which evaluates our patients with chest pain, to determine a course of treatment.
Disease Management Programs, including:
- A four-phase Cardiac Rehabilitation program
- A dedicated Cardiac Home Health Team within our Home Care Division
- Pediatric Cardiology Clinic in conjunction with Boston Children's Hospital
- Cardiac Support Group
- The Friends of Cardiovascular Affinity Group