One of the strategic goals for the South Shore Clinical Integration Network (SSCIN) is to develop a web-based reporting tool, that allows for meaningful data to be shared across the South Shore (the System) to strengthen clinical processes, communication and collaboration, and improve patient care.
In June of 2014, the SSCIN Phase I Data Summary Portal (Data Portal) is being launched. The Data Portal is designed to provide transparency around clinical benchmark performance and best practice data. For Phase I, more than 50 clinicians and administrative leaders who have been involved in the development of the Data Portal and SSCIN Value Streams will be part of a pilot group. They will able to test the features and provide feedback that will help prepare for a broader launch. All Medical Staff will have access to the Data Portal by Fall 2014.
Phase I will offer reports using aggregate data from South Shore Hospital on readmissions, returns to the emergency department within 72 hours, and patient’s willingness to recommend for both the in-patient and the ED services. The SSCIN has set goals for improvement in all three areas, and the Data Portal will provide transparency across the System to see if we are making progress towards those goals, of if countermeasures are required.
Future enhancements to the Data Portal will include dashboards for practice and provider level data, system improvement project measures, as well as other meaningful filters and drill down capabilities.
The SSCIN IT Steering Committee is overseeing the development of the Data Portal. Updates on future phases including timelines and features will be made available on this web site. Please also review the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) below.
Phase One Data Portal Features
Timeline: Summer 2014
- SSCIN IT Steering Committee
- Clinical Programs Committee
- SSCIN Governance Council
- HPSO Board Members
- SSCIN COPD Value Stream Steering Committee
- SSCIN Chest Pain Value Stream Steering Committee
- Main Dashboard: The dashboard displays the SSCIN metrics and goals using aggregate System data.
- Readmission Rate: Data is for all-cause readmissions within 30 days to South Shore Hospital. Data includes OB/Gyn readmissions except for those patients who are readmitted due to labor.
- Repeat ED Visit Rate: Data includes any patients who return to the Emergency Department within 72 hours of being discharged from the Emergency Department. Data includes all returns regardless of disposition; excludes patients who were admitted as in patient status 72 hours prior.
- In-patient Satisfaction: Shows the percentage of in-patients who would recommend South Shore Hospital and the SSCIN target goal. The sample size is shown to provide statistical relevance. Data source: Press Ganey patient surveys.
- ED patient Satisfaction: Shows the percentage of patients who would recommend the Emergency Department at South Shore Hospital and the SSCIN target goal. The sample size is shown to provide statistical relevance.
Data source: Press Ganey patient surveys.
Timeline: Fall 2014
Access groups: All Medical Staff will have access.
Features: The SSCIN IT Steering Committee is in the process of developing the timeline for enhancements to the Data Portal. Updates will be available over time on this website.
Frequently Asked Questions
How were the pilot users chosen?
The SSCIN IT Steering Committee selected these individuals for several reasons; collectively they represent a wide range of specialties as well as community and hospital staff; many have been involved with the development of the Data Portal and/or the SSCIN Value Streams; some will be “fresh eyes” and can provide initial insight on the usability of the dashboard reports.
Who will notify my practice in regards to getting access?
The SSCIN IT Steering Committee will be working with the Information Systems contacts at each practice over summer to confirm all IT requirements as a next step.
How do you get to the Data Portal?
Once you have a user name and password created, you’ll receive an email with more information about logging into the Data Portal via SeaNet from an Information Systems representative. A quick user reference guide will be included.
Why is there System-level data only in Phase One?
South Shore Hospital has been collecting and sharing aggregate System data for years. The SSCIN Governance Council felt transitioning access to this data to the web-based Data Portal was a great first step in providing a central web-based option to see – as a System of care – if we are improving in key performance areas.
How often is the data updated?
The dashboard will be refreshed at the end of each month. There will be a 30-45 day lag in the data. This is standard for System-level data.
When will practice and provider, and patient health information data be available in the Data Portal?
The vision for the Data Portal is that it will offer additional meaningful data over time. This will include:
- Blinded practice performance data (no PHI data at this level).
- Unblinded “best performer” data for certain measures including those for the COPD and chest pain improvement projects (no PHI data at this level).
- Unblinded practice, provider and PHI-level data. Only certain users will have permissions to access for their own practices and patients.
In order to offer all of the above, additional IT specifications and privacy agreements need to be finalized. Updates on the timeline for all of these enhancements will be communicated on this website, as well as in email updates to the Medical Staff and at department and community meetings.
What happens to the reports I receive today from South Shore Hospital via email?
The South Shore Health and Educational Corporation Data Team will continue to provide reports outside of the Data Portal. The goal is to integrate these into the Data Portal in the future, with user-specific access.