Every milestone throughout the history of South Shore Hospital has been the direct result of its unwavering commitment to meet the growing health care needs of the region through quality patient care.
The journey began on May 21, 1922, when South Shore Hospital opened its doors as Weymouth Hospital, offering the 15,000 residents of Weymouth a facility equipped with 20 beds, an operating room, a delivery room and nursery, and an X-ray machine.
Much has changed. Today, Weymouth Hospital has transformed into South Shore Hospital: a charitable, not-for-profit, tax-exempt, regional health care system that provides a 318-bed acute care medical center, and outpatient, home health, and hospice care for the 725,000 residents of Southeastern Massachusetts.
Browse through the historical timeline of South Shore Hospital and see the dynamic transformations that have shaped who we are today.
|In 1945, the Weymouth hospital changed its name to South Shore Hospital |
to better represent the larger area of which they drew service.