Ways to Give
Thank you for your interest in South Shore Health System's volunteer department. We are actively seeking people aged 16 and over (16-year-old volunteers are only eligible to work in the Friendly Shop or as patient escorts). If you consider yourself to be caring and dependable we want to hear from you!
We currently have new volunteer opportunities at our Cancer Center. Many of our volunteer positions are available from 8 a.m-8 p.m., seven days per week. For all current volunteer opportunities, kindly contact Diane Downs, Director, Volunteer Services at 781-624-8241.
We are very excited about the Fox 25 recent feature on South Shore Health System's Volunteer Infant Cuddler Program and we know our community is too. Please note, this program does not have any volunteer vacancies at this time and we do not maintain a waitlist for this program. We do not anticipate any openings until next year, December 2017. Please see our list of other open volunteer opportunities below.
View Current Volunteer Opportunities
Over 700 volunteers offer their time and talents to serve our patients and visitors. If you would like to make a difference in the lives of others, we'd like to hear from you! To learn more about how you can begin a meaningful and rewarding volunteer experience at South Shore Health System, please contact us.
Current volunteer services include:
At the Hospital...
- Providing patient directory information
- Escorting patients to their destinations within the hospital
- Providing friendly visits to patients
- Answering caller questions
- Helping customers in our Friendly Shop and Cancer Center Boutique
- Offering computer data entry and clerical assistance
- Providing music in our lobby
- Priority areas in need of assistance are the amateur radio program, critical care reception, disaster assistance, emergency department, patient/visitor escorts, patient information, patient access services, patient relations, and retail shops.
For Patients in Hospice Care...
- Providing companionship to homebound patients
- Offering respite to caregivers
- Running errands
In the Community...
- Participating in fundraising events
- Staffing hospital information booths at community functions