Ways to Give
Thank you for your interest in South Shore Hospital's volunteer department. We are actively seeking people aged 16 and over (16-year-old volunteers are only eligible to work in the Friendly Shop or as patient escorts). If you consider yourself to be caring and dependable we want to hear from you!
We currently have new volunteer opportunities at our Cancer Center. Kindly contact Diane Downs, Director, Volunteer Services at 781-624-8241 for more information.
Volunteer opportunities are available from 8 a.m-8 p.m., seven days per week. To learn about our current opportunities, please call volunteer services at 781-624-8242.
View Current Volunteer Opportunities
South Shore Hospital's volunteer program is the largest in Southeastern Massachusetts. Over 700 volunteers offer their time and talents to serve our patients and visitors. Please call volunteer services at 781-624-8242 to learn more about how you can begin a meaningful and rewarding volunteer experience at South Shore Hospital.
Current volunteer services include:
At the Hospital...
- Providing patient directory information
- Escorting patients to their destinations within the hospital
- Answering caller questions
- Helping customers in our retail shops
- Offering computer data entry and clerical assistance
- Providing music in our lobby
- Priority areas in need of assistance are the retail shops, critical care reception, emergency department, music program, disaster assistance, patient/visitor escorts, patient information, patient access services and patient relations.
For Patients in Hospice Care...
- Providing companionship to homebound patients
- Offering respite to caregivers
- Running errands
In the Community...
- Participating in fundraising events
- Staffing hospital information booths at community functions
At Dana-Farber/Brigham and Women’s Cancer Center in clinical affiliation with South Shore Hospital:
Thank you so much for your interest in volunteering for our cancer care program. We are currently seeking volunteers for our reception areas, clerical duties as well as in our Boutique. Volunteers for the Boutique can enjoy 20% discount at the shop. Candidates must be 18 years or older.
You may contact 781-624-8241 for other volunteer opportunities.