Ways to Give
Thank you for your interest in South Shore Hospital's volunteer department. We are actively seeking people over the age of 17. If you consider yourself to be caring and dependable we want to hear from you!
Volunteer opportunities are available from 8 a.m-8 p.m., seven days per week. To learn about our current opportunities, please call volunteer services at 781-624-8242.
South Shore Hospital's volunteer program is the largest in Southeastern Massachusetts. Over 700 volunteers offer their time and talents to serve our patients and visitors.
South Shore Hospital volunteers offer their assistance in over 60 departments or locations across the hospital. Volunteer opportunities are available in many areas, including reception, greeting, transport, clerical, data entry, fundraising, retail shops, and other locations. Our music programs offer a unique way to donate your talents. The volunteer music program provides light instrumental music in reception areas. Our community knitting and quilting volunteer programs provide comfort and hope to patients and their families, who cherish items such as baby blankets, prayer shawls, and lap blankets handcrafted with quality and care.
Please call volunteer services at 781-624-8242 to learn more about how you can begin a meaningful and rewarding volunteer experience at South Shore Hospital.
Current volunteer opportunities include:
At the Hospital...
- Providing patient directory information
- Escorting patients to their destinations within the hospital
- Answering caller questions
- Helping customers in our retail shops
- Offering computer data entry and clerical assistance
- Providing music in our lobby
- Priority areas in need of assistance are the retail shops, critical care reception, emergency department, maternity services, surgical services, music program, disaster assistance, patient/visitor escorts, patient information, patient access services, patient relations, and patient transport.
For Patients in Hospice Care...
- Providing companionship to homebound patients
- Offering respite to caregivers
- Running errands
In the Community...
- Participating in fundraising events
- Staffing hospital information booths at community functions
At Dana-Farber/Brigham and Women’s Cancer Center in clinical affiliation with South Shore Hospital:
Thank you so much for your interest in volunteering for our cancer care program. We currently do not have any volunteer vacancies in the cancer center.
You may contact 781-624-8241 for other volunteer opportunities.